1 pound of potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon of finely chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoon of pepper
3 minced garlic cloves
Oil for frying
Step 1: Preparing the Potato Mixture
1. Cook the potatoes in boiling water until they become soft.
2. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them from the water.
3. Mash the potatoes with a fork or a manual potato masher.
4. Add the parsley and cilantro, egg and garlic and splices to the potatoes. If you like spicy food you can add hot chile pepper to the potatoes.
Step 2: Making the Patties
1. Make small patties out of the potato mix.
Step 3: Frying the Maakouda
1. First heat the oil in the skillet
2. Dip the potato patties in the egg, then the flour and then fry them. Make sure the oil is very hot before frying.
3. Cook the Maakouda until it becomes golden brown and use paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
4. Serve the Maakouda immediately. You can serve it as an appetizer or as the way it is sold on the street in Morocco as a sandwich using French bread or Moroccan bread lettuce, tomato and hot sauce.